Friday, December 17, 2004

...todos saltam, todos dancam, todos gritam...

Back in September when Merck pulled Vioxx from the market, I remember telling people that Pfizer's Bextra would be the next to go, as another drug in the same class of cox-II inhibitors.

What do we hear today? That there are new warnings being issued about Celebrex (though Pfizer has no plans to recall it), and that researchers are telling doctors to not prescribe Bextra unless under extraordinary circumstances. So it looks like although it isn't off the market yet, it soon will be.

Do we all remember Bextra? That it is my life-line and the only thing which keeps from being often doubled over in pain? So essentially the plan is to go get advance prescriptions before they pull it from the market, so at least I have some on hand for a while.

Pharmacology firms are evil, and people are generally stupid, because everyone is surprised by this, but as soon as I heard "popular drug to be recalled" on the news in the car, I told my dad "bet it's Bextra". At least Merck was man enough to pull it. I hate that it has to be gone, but it's irresponsible of Pfizer to keep it on the market at this point, knowing that it is over-prescribed as it is.

If I have to revert back to Naprosyn I'll shoot myself.

But in other news, (the good variety), I am going to Iran leaving the day after my last final at the end of next semester whenever that should be and coming back May 17.