Sunday, November 28, 2004

...smile like you mean it...

So because I'm alternately self-destructive and undisciplined, my reaction when Nick rang to say "hey Sanam, let's go drinking" was "kay".

And so we went, Daniel and Nick and i to the wonderful land that is O'Grady's, where we chatted amicably and drank until the wee hours of the morn. Heading out back into the cold outside, who do I run into but Kavi. He introduces me to his Canadian friends and pronounces my name the Persian way, which is the only way he's ever known it. I introduce him to my friends as "Kavi" and his friends laugh because to them he is "Ka-Vay" and then I laugh because it is so silly, and they know nothing because he will always be Kavi and that is all there is to it. So he has been since we were "this" tall, and so he shall remain.

Then he spun a story about how we were once intense lovers but ended it for political reasons because I'm a Republican and he's a Democrat, and everyone laughed. Then he told me a bunch of things my mother has been telling his mother at parties, and everyone but me laughed. I laughed a little too, that's a lie. My mother is just funny that way.

At the moment it is 4am, and I have just finished typing notes on my fourth anthropology reading. I am pulling an all-nighter tonight, and seeing how many I will finish. And now i shall leave you, for some coffee and the sweet loving provided by my darling text book.