Thursday, November 11, 2004

...with exception of bottled water...

The dreams of war/violence/world ending are coming with increasing frequency. I never used to dream about these things. I dreamt of the hot guy down the hall last year, or turning into a teacup, or being back in elementary school but it was inside a mall.

Since August, I have had 4 post apocalyptic dreams, two in-the-middle of a war dreams, a nuclear bomb dream, and last night, a dream where I was in some kind of rebel group fighting North Korean communists. As a history student, we spend a lot of time discussing the causes of certain wars, why the decisions were made. The typical causes always pop up - nationalism, failure to communicate, search for resources. Then they make it sound as if the steps leading to war were all diligently calculated, and war was a known outcome. Do you seriously think anyone wanted or expected or planned for WWI to turn out the way it did, as violent and as long and as deadly? No, events spiralled out of control, one bad decision led to another, and suddenly it's four years later and millions of people are dead.

Imagine that kind of thing happening today, with all the advanced weapons and technology at our disposal.

The other night I dreamt that Bush got impatient and dropped a nuclear bomb on Tehran. And it started from there, and poof we were all dead.

I seriously think someone needs to break things down for world leaders (cough cough... Bush) who are going around this way and that starting wars at a whim. You start wars, and someone is going to fight back a little more than you thought they would and poof. Maybe if we use small words like that it'll sink in...

Ack - I want a solution. I want this post to have been boom boom boom, 1, 2, 3, this is how we are going to fix the world, and I am frustrated because I don't know how. Instead, it's just laying it out there: I do worry about these things, war is a reality and an inevitability, and poof, we will all be dead. Charming, huh?