Wednesday, November 10, 2004

...nothing of consequence...

People tell you exactly what they are, it's up to you to believe them

Written by Maya Angelou, brought to my attention by Farnam, I've been thinking about this today.

The reason I think so many women have trouble believing the guys who admit to being slime, is because in our (perverse) sense of logic, it seems completely irrational for someone to admit coldly to being a jerk, accepting this of themselves. I would think you would want to better yourself, I would think you'd want to project the best possible image of yourself.

What we need to understand, I think, is that men are just inherently lazy, and just don't want to put in that effort. I mean, if you can find someone who's going to accept you like you are, and not ask any more from you, and not expect anything more from you, then what have you got to make the effort for? And you can try to explain WHY they should make the effort, how anything less would be so unsatisfying, but really when has a man EVER listened to a woman anyways?

This comes out of JK of course, and the fact that she somehow entered my thoughts today, and I remember someone explaining the attraction to me once, saying how she's square and low maintenance, and that's good because he doesn't have to do anything. And then I thought of three other guys and their ditto girls, and it made me shake my head because they are all dumb, and so am I.

Doesn't that depress you? Knowing guys are like that? See but that brings me to women's second mistake (the first being denial) - we think that all guys are like that, which is why we don't even bat an eyelash at guys like that. We consistently fall into the same trap, but it so completely doesn't have to be that way.

And if that wasn't enough, let's talk about how completely irrational it is that a guy will show up and, over the period of say 4 months, will be consistently trying to impress you, and trying to date you, and you keep brushing him off. And really you don't have a logical explanation, or really any explanation, for it but you keep doing it. So essentially, most women are dumb in so many ways. And by most I mean... me.