Saturday, November 06, 2004

...in the corner, out of the grip...

Everyone had the same bewildering thought after yesterday - you are never again going to experience a more beautiful, more touching, more unique funeral than the one we had for Joe yesterday morning. We sang, and we laughed, and we cried, and we rapped, and we chanted, and we loved.

The reception following was held in the most fitting yet most ironic of places - on the 53rd floor of the TD building, in a sparse, simple room with a 360 degree view overlooking the city... right in the heart of corporate Toronto.

It was a draining but necessary experience. I was so empty and exhausted afterwords that I just wanted to sleep and sleep. Instead, I went back to the office, and we all went out to dinner and it was a brilliantly fun night, full of memories and laughter. Bridget showed up (almost as if by magic!) and I was so happy to see her Halifax self, that I could have cried had I not cried everything else out of me that past few days. Jordan and Alex conversed back and forth in suburban south-east American accents and had us all laughing on the floor. Late night, Cheryl and I headed to a Caribbean restaurant with Lloyd where there was more talking, life lessons and the like. And I was the coolest kid on the block all night in Russ's huge coat (Robin had taken mine you see), and really, it was hot.

This is all you'll hear from me until Monday I believe - tonight I am being invaded by Yanks. Abby came this morning from NY, and before the end of the night I will have my Kerry, Colleen and Kelly-O. And all of them staying here in the playboy mansion :)

To all the friends and family I have neglected this past week - I love you and I'm sorry. You will all get phone calls/emails/visits today or tomorrow or the next, and I will tell you how much I love you, and you will say "you dumb suck... we love you too". And then I will be happy. Er.