Thursday, July 29, 2004

...it's a movement, and philosophy...

In preparation for a book meeting today, we all had to have read the final version of the manuscript of the new C + M book for this morning. Inundated with packing concerns, and other projects that somehow threw themselves at my head this week, I didn't get around to starting the book until last night. A fast reader, I was able to read through it (more or less) in about three hours.

Most of my impressions are being harboured for the book meeting at 1:30 this afternoon, but I will tell you this. First of all, I expect everyone to read this book once it is out on store shelves. Otherwise, expect a copy as a present at any and all gift-giving occasions. This comes out of the fact that Me 2 We is one of the most powerful books that I have read in a long while, and is absolutely my favorite of the C + M publications.

Do you understand that from Chapter 8 to the end of the book at Chapter 11, I did not stop crying? I won't give away everything from the book, but Chapter 8 talks about forgiveness. Forgiveness and the fact that by not granting it, you assume you are the centre of the world of pain and cling to a self-reinforcing stronghold of vengeful thoughts and anger that are counterproductive to everything we should aim to be. When you are filled with so much anger and hate, there is no ROOM for anything else, and there are so many things out there that need our help that we have no business staying so angry. It's life, people will hurt you. Fine - I have to accept that, forgive it and let it go, and use the space that is left to continue what I do, what I love to do, which is so completely wrapped up in this amazing organization and what they do.

The other section that brought me to tears was the "My Story" section profiling my friend Joe. To begin, I have to commend him on his bravery for sharing his story with everyone. He is such a phenomenal person, and I am grateful everyday that I met him, as well as all the other amazing young people involved with the FTC/LT camp. The reason I cried was because I read about someone who had lived a very very difficult life, and survived and conquered it with an incredible amount of warmth and integrity and Level 3 - something I am not sure I could have pulled off with as much grace, if I had been in the same situation.

Once the book hits the market, I will announce it duly, and you will all go out and buy. Yes, you will.