Friday, July 20, 2007

...earth to reaction boy (come in)...

Oh. My.

I cannot stress this enough - when it comes to events, and decorations, and anything on a spectacular scale, there is no store on earth that can touch us. I have never spent so much time and effort on anything like I have on the launch party of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Truly, honestly, if you are in Toronto and a friend of mine (even though because of this launch I haven't seen most of my friends in weeks), please please come check it out. Wander into the store, past Gringott's and browse the shops of Diagon Alley on the Mezzanine; drop down to Hogwarts and go through the Forbidden Forest to get to the children's books; or walk out onto street level through Platform 9 3/4 where the Hogwarts Express takes you to all the amazing events and activities (including my events - the kids crafts, that are happening on the Knight Bus!). Enter a raffle to win the beautiful house banners that my fantastic friend Sara made from scratch on gorgeous thick fabric.

Most importantly, stay until 12:01 and buy your book! I will stay until the bitter end, and read the first chapter before falling into a fitful sleep, and only after working all day Saturday will I get to read the book at leisure and completely. This is the last book, the end of a children's literary era, and it could only ever be commemorated like this, on this scale.

Every single member of this team gave great vision and worked their hearts out (mostly); and myself and Ash (coffee-jitters, blurry gaze) filled in the spaces working in our apartments and garages, on our breaks and days off, and everything came together, and we pulled off something you won't believe until you see it. I dare you not to be blown away. For the Harry Potter fans, it's a no-brainer. But even for the rest of you - you will be awed despite yourselves.

Unless you have ice-water and absolutely cynacism running through your veins.

Friday night, 8pm, Bay and Bloor, you can't miss it. I will see you all there.