Sunday, June 19, 2005

...minorly melodic - loud, dissonant...

Incredible. Expatriated again. Why does this keep happening to me?

The elections in Iran: of course I care, of course I am following them. Do I feel a need to write about them? Not even a little bit; many others are doing a more commendable job than I could manage, given my limited knowledge on many of the intricacies of the matter. Do I feel obligated to write about them? Not even a little bit. My connection to Iran is emotive and historic, based much more on nostalgia than any real sense of nationalism. What has Iran done for me other than leaving me prone to recurrent bronchitis from exposure to it's shitty air and having given me a childhood fear of loud noises, sirens, dark places and basements from two years of war-time living. I'm prepared for the fallout of this next comment, but so be it: my world will not collapse and fall apart because of the happenings in that country, the directions of my future won't alter.

I write about the things that are on my mind at whatever moment I catch in front of my computer. What's on my mind in the immediate moments? My classes, my students, my boyfriend, my job, my friends and the other details of my day to day.

Re: Inna and how this blog doesn't have to be politically driven all the time - it never has to be politically driven. This isn't a political blog. It is MY blog. (Did we lose sight of that somewhere along the way?) It is for me, for my friends, and whoever else drops in. But I'm not going to cater to you, and I won't accept your superficial judgement since you obviously don't know me. A silly blog on a silly net is hardly the best way to get to know somebody, don't you think?

Et voila, my rant. Moving on...

i) There's a new baby in our family who is entering day 3 without a name. That worries me a little bit, the thought of this identity-less creature in existence. There should be a statute of limitations on baby-naming. 24 hours. No more.

ii) Spent the night with 2 itty bitty kittens, 2 months old who climbed on my head all night and fought over my braid, tugging my hair. Eventually they wore each other out, and curled up against either sides of me, at which point I finally dozed off until they woke me barely 4 hours later. There was a boy somewhere in all this, but he was more or less ignored. Hey, there were cats. I know my priorities.

iii) Tomorrow night is Catch 23 at Clinton's, watching the boy do his thing.

iv) Theoretically it should also be catching up on the ridiculous amount of schoolwork I need done by Tuesday. But, well. I'm not really sure that will happen.