Sunday, December 26, 2004

...comparisons are odious...

Sitting at the computer when there's allegedly a party going on around me. One of my mother's parties. Started off well, seems to be going splendidly. Except for the fact that I'm sitting at the computer when there's allegedly a party going on around me.

It's all my cousins fault really, because contrary to all laws of fairness she turned out beautiful and stunning and slender and huge-eyed and witty and bright - and I turned out like me, really rather pretty in my own right, witty as well though too often sarcastic with an edge some find unladylike and thus undesirable (the term most commonly used is abrasive), slender now and aiming for slender...er - yet, alas, nothing at all to her. Which would have been fine and overlookable except that tonight she isn't here, and when I asked my aunt why, she said "hamash takhsireh --------" (It's all ---------'s fault). Now in the blank, insert the name of someone gorgeous and brilliant and politically interested and interest-ing who is clearly out of my league but oh how I always have wished he could be in my league, and now surprise of surprises he might be seeing my cousin and if not seeing at least he's friend with her and I didn't even know they knew each other?

I am not impressed.

This is going to be a long night. Also there is a winter cold advisory in effect and I'm worried that while I'm away, the pipes in our place will freeze again because there's no one there to leave the water running. It also occurred to me last night that Ashley is probably not at home, and the house is empty and there is no one to feed the bunny. Despite myself, I am worried. I'll be home tomorrow night, and will feed him promptly but I do wonder about the state of the poor thing tonight.

I mean seriously, I am the only young person here except my brother. I am the uber uncool. I hate everyone who did NOT show up tonight. There is still one guest left to come however. If he comes tonight, it won't matter that no-one else came because really, he's the most important, and the reason I manoevered out of my work schedule to be here, because he's celeb-like but also wonderful, and I am too much dorkily in adoration of him to even be allowed to exist. But the point is, if he comes I am happy. C'est tout.