Thursday, October 28, 2004

...some work of noble note may yet be done...

They lighted a great torch then...

I suppose you're wondering why I'm reading Tennyson tonight -

I envy not the beast that takes
His license in the field of time.
Unfettered by the sense of crime,
To whom a conscience never wakes:

Nor, what may count itself as blest,
The heart that never plighted troth
But stagnates in the weeds of sloth;
Nor any want-begotten rest.


Because darlings (and this is a lesson you all should learn), baseball is just a game. In the end, it's just a silly American game. Not life, by any means. And I know we all want to be the Red Sox, personably manifest, but well - oh god, I had the best line to put here, which summed it all up but it isn't mine so I can't say it. And if I did, you all would know everything, and that's never good. So I'll give you the cliche instead - "that's the way the cookie crumbles".

Don't lie, you secretly love cliches. We all do.

I took the heart out of that poem - left the extremities, peripherals. Like me; from now on, all you get from me is peripherals.

(Are we surprised? Didn't we think, deep down, that I'd eventually become a cynic, too?)

I like to see it lap the miles...

In the funniest of situations, the male/female gender roles were effectively reversed tonight when Slick Tatum nagged to bring it to Sex and the City, and I fought tooth and nail to keep it on TSN.

I feel good all over...

Sometimes I read other people's horoscopes, and analyse it for them. And hope that they are living up to the signs indicated by their respective stars.

If I lived my life according to the signs, it would be perfect. Except that we interpret the signs we see, look for the ones we want. So really, it isn't true. It's not self-handicapping, that's the wrong term. It's selective perception, something along those lines. Confirmation bias.

See how many terms from class I can regurgitate? Why am I not doing better in school?