Tuesday, May 09, 2006

...we're sorry for the inconvenience but you're going to have to leave now...

Earlier was talking to Aimable for the first time in almost 5 months - oh how I missed that boy. He was telling me about his problems with his girlfriend, and how they are on the brink of breaking up. "That's it" he said, "there is one more girl left and if that one doesn't work out either, I am just going to be single".

I told him I thought that was horrible - he treats relationships like business transactions. Where's the romance? He says romance is just a means to an unnecessary emotional rollercoaster. He'd rather be happy. Content. I can't accept that - what about love?! He thinks you can create love.

"I thought Rwandans were supposed to be romantic, and sensual, and emotional"!, I cried. "Oh please." he snorted, "what kind of Rwandans do you know?. We are nothing like that."

Sigh.

Afterwards, we talked about memories. Good times - sushi with Joe G. who is suddenly getting married now (!); the girls at the office, and summer sports; and Lloyd, who isn't coming back now until next December, and who I miss all the time. I was crushed when I came back from Iran and found out he had been here for a week, and gone back to Sri Lanka the day before. And the boy is so focused, he doesn't respond to personal emails until months afterwards. I want to yell at him. "Dammit Hanoman", I will say, "I spent the better part of my adolescence in love with you, you will *answer* my emails. Promptly."