Sunday, May 07, 2006

...we would never leave each other...

This is what I was thinking during MI3: That the movie is inadvertently social commentary on the joke that is the American development apparatus. Think about it - Hunt (ie. Tom Cruise) works for the IMF, the "Impossible Missions Force". They save the world, mostly. Rogue operatives within the group, like Muskgrave, spin out on their own huge missions that are really unequivocal failures, justifying it in the name of infrastructure, cleaning up, and the inevitable victory of democracy. You know who else does that? The "real" IMF, our friendly International Monetary Fund. That other "impossible missions force".

Just so you don't start thinking I can't even enjoy the fun in a $15 action movie on a Sunday night, I'll let you in on the other thing I was thinking during the movie: Tom Cruise is hot. Whatever bad I have said about him in the past, I take back. And any man that wants a direct line to bringing the sex kitten out of a woman [feminist insert: not all women], just... do as he does. Brawny hot car driving, building breaking, running sweaty through the streets of Shanghai ACTION.

I used to want to be an international spy myself. Bobkitten and I even went downtown once in early high school in our little black outfits, carrying our gadgets (read: her cell phone, my palm pilot) and pretended we were Bond girls. Or something. The only action we got was running out of the restaurant through the back door by the kitchen, on our way to a Secret Assignment. I eventually realized the greater thing than being an international spy was dating an international spy. I don't know why I came to that realization - I mean, the girlfriends don't get the hot cars. But seriously. Someone should be secret agent to my bond girl. That would rock.