Saturday, May 27, 2006

...me all alone/top of the world...

This was a wonderful day - it was bright and quick moving, light stepping. Among other things, a little girl turned 4 today, and pranced around the store in her tiara. She had a red balloon, and at some point in her playing she let it go; it was filled with helium and floated to the top of the section, near the steps.

At the end of the night, Timothy brought it up to me and I convinced Ian to unlock the door so Kate and I could set it free. Outside on Bay Street, it had finally stopped raining. We stood for a moment, then released the balloon into the sky. It took nearly 5 minutes for it to completely disappear from sight, and we stood there the whole time. It also made my night - for some reason, this small thing of setting free a red balloon into a dark sky, and seeing it wind slowly up, wondering where it will end up... and I am so happy Ian let us do this. He laughed a little, but that's okay too.

It's so funny how your luck and happiness and personality can alter in the space of a day. Yesterday was incredible frustration and storming out of the store on my break to be rescued by a delegating Julie and roving Claire; today there was a flying balloon.

The balloon was among other things, as I said before. "Other things" were generally wonderful and comprise of a bakery breakfast with Sara, a run-in in his hood of the annexe with HJW, a publishing-maven girlfriend bringing me ARE's, and later in the day, a smile that nearly had me hit the floor. So Claire, you aren't the only one feeling "want/can't have". I will kick myself all the way until our movie date tomorrow, at which point I am sure mutual declarations of the devastations of unrequited crushing will ensue...