Friday, May 26, 2006

...the human body should NOT bend that way!...

I had to post this, it irked me so. One of those "uber-feminists" who takes the thing so far as to flirt with irrationality. It's from the Ellie column in the Toronto Star, and she shot this girl down good:

Q: I'm a girl, 27, who wants to air one of my pet peeves. I know a lot of people, especially females, agree with me on this one.

It's about when I go to a restaurant and the host (male or female) says, "Hi, guys," regardless of who I'm with. I'm not a guy and I don't want to be referred to as such, especially by wait staff in a restaurant when I'm with a date or even friends of either sex. Please post this as a note of awareness to restaurant owners to train their staff to be inclusive and respectful.

- Annoyed

A: Lucky you, with such a teeny burden to bear. But I notice you call yourself a "girl" at 27.

Let's deal with realities: you're a woman and should, by now, have a level of tolerance for what's intended as a casual greeting, and not a description.

Also, in this era of varied personal styles and blurred gender lines, it's sometimes easier and less likely to offend by going with the popularly accepted vernacular of "guys."


From yesterday: I borrowed Rachel's dark olive green mini skirt last night after much pleading and grovelling and promising to worship her forever. She wants it back immediately after it has served it's purpose on the weekend, which I fully intended to comply with until I got home and tried it again. Now it has officially become a "long term loan". Nothing I look this good in should be denied me :P

This weekend has X-Men 3, cake for breakfast, and writing the My Uncle Napoleon review -