Sunday, May 22, 2005

...and i saw momentarily...

Break down of the show last night sees some disappointment in three things:

i) They started early, and so I came in on the third track. This means that I missed two incredible songs, since I hear they opened with Infanta (so fitting), and July July.

ii) The first half of the show went off without a hitch but without any personality as well. I could easily have been listening to the CD. Petra's spoken asides were moronic - she can sing, on occasion, but shouldn't speak please. Colin should do whatever his heart desires, and we will love.

iii) The set was too damn short! No one with a repertoire like theirs should be allowed to leave after an hour and a half. Totally unacceptable. More annoying since we knew the band was rushing so that THEY could head to the Opera House to see M.I.A.

There were two incredible redemptions. The first was Chimbley Sweep and the bizarre and completely perfect inclusion of a Jewish Folk Dance into the hook. I thought we were all going to have to start doing the hora. As it was, Colin had the entire audience kneeling and sitting on the floor at one point, which was a sight to see in itself. The other redemption was The Mariner's Revenge as the closer, which was so pumped and great.

So there - good show. Not great. They didn't even have band merchandise which I could use to validate myself as an indie rock groupie.