Wednesday, April 20, 2005

...almost completely...

Six weeks!

I heard his voice from behind me, and the air was so charged. The world froze, went into slow motion when he walked into that room, and still I didn't turn around until I felt his hands on my shoulders pulling me slightly backwards. As I lean so briefly against his chest, he says the first words of the day "Hey, how're you doing?"

Oh I must be fine, because my heart's still beating

I feel vulnerable, exposed now to the outside. Bare and self-conscious and tiny. Burrowing down small in an arm chair at Second Cup, sipping my coffee as I stare outside at the rain pouring in sheets and the walkers caught in the storm. Noticing how sometimes they hop as if trying to dodge the raindrops (do they know this doesn't work?). This is so very odd. I feel so very very odd.

Small as I am feeling, there's a compulsive desire in me to stand on a table, right here in the coffee shop and shout out to everyone here. No words needed, no fancy speeches. Just a giant whoop of joy and the smile that comes unbidden and unforced. Trying to convey with my ineffectual words the exact sensation of his fingers trailing down the side of my neck.

These small moments are everything.