Sunday, February 06, 2005

...things that make you go hmmm...

i) A bearded lady - truly - who comes in like clockwork twice a week.

ii) It started off with two: two brightly-coloured markered-in hearts in the handicapped washroom at work. One over the change table, one above the toilet. As the week went on, the number of hearts increased, as did the colours of markers used. The count now stands at 14 (as far as we can tell) - they range from being hidden under the toilet seat cover, to being on the lid of the garbage can, or on the door handle as you're leaving. Who is this mystery artiste, and why all the vandalism?

iii) An angry teenage boy got on the subway, decked out in the dark, shredded, haphazard look of the protest-punk/grunge era who looked like the rest of those kids pissed off at some grave injustice in the world, or at least, in music. As I was contemplating this, he whipped out an iPod and put the headphones in. In that one brief moment, any credibility he had held, gone.

iv) The Italian Stallion asks me today if I'll be needing his chivalrous services or his steed at some point tonight (referring, I can only hope to assume, to the fact that he walked me home last night). I laugh a little cynically and say no, he can use his chivalry on someone else. To which he says, "You know, I don't understand all the angst. I'm really confused by all this posturing and hostility. Why are you so wierd with me? What's with all the head games?" The irony of that statement nearly sent me to the floor.

v) Bonnie Tyler's music video for "Total Eclipse of the Heart". What kind of a romantic video combines ninjas in a church, blazing eyes that look more demonic than sensual, and boys in speedos and goggles doing coordinated dance while having buckets of water thrown on them. Add to that the fake wind, billowy white curtains, and Tyler's 80's hair, and you have a truly perplexing musical endeavor.

But on a totally unrelated note, C and C Music Factory's video for "Things That Make You Go Hmm" is truly a work of art. How much do I want to live in that video scenescape? Oh but the fun we would have.