Tuesday, November 23, 2004

...tied to me tight tie me up again...

My heart is breaking for Dave Matthews - always, always the most essential quality of music for me is the ability to invoke emotion, for the words and melody to leave the realm of thought and cause a physical response, like the ache I feel, clench stomach when he sings "crash" for the first time in the song.

Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll...
And you come crash into me, baby


My desk lies up against a bay window from where I see the people on the street, and the moment I recognize them as people with an infinite number of their own thoughts, knowing they each have a story - that brief occasional moment when I awake to the fact that they aren't just extras on my stage, is always interesting to me. Does that ever happen to anyone else? That designation of other people as backdrops in your own life, only to sometimes realize that for them, you're the backdrop, inconsequential?

I've been wearing a cross for some time now; I don't know why or from what motivation. But I like wearing it, and feel more peaceful. Morgan asked me if I was a Christian, because I wear it. I said, nooo... He asked if I'm Muslim, I said, nooo... not exactly. Then what exactly? Honey, I don't know.

I think I started wearing it after my father told me I wasn't a Muslim.

Morgan isn't the only one wondering - but I can't give him an answer that will satisfy. I only know the extent of my faith and what it means for me, knowing I don't want to put a name to it. The only explanation I can give for that is something Joe taught me, which is that to label something means it can be dismissed.