Wednesday, September 15, 2004

...scientists and blue cheese...

There are millions of books that need to be read, not to mention millions of pages on the Internet. Yet none of this will help you with what you need now to understand. Experience is your greatest teacher. That's what you need.

I'm not impressed with the horoscopes from The Star. They are too often correct, which concerns me.

There you have it again though - secret language of birds. Is the answer. It must be.

I'm following the track of Hurricane Ivan instead of reading for Bioethics. My plan to be scholarly this semester seems to have escaped attention. So I sit here glued to the Weather Network. Storms terrify me. Hurricanes, tornadoes, all of it. They are so untamed and uncontrollable and random and powerful, how can one not be afraid of them? War, violence - all of these man made evils are, by virtue of being man-made, are somewhat controllable and are limited by man's own limits. There is no limit to what nature can achieve apparently, and so we have this monster of a storm bearing down on innocent people, leaving dozens dead in its wake.

It's interesting that storms are titled with people's names. It seems somehow natural to me since many of these hurricanes seem to develop an identity of sorts. Frightening no?

Good luck New Orleans, I'm praying for you.