Friday, July 30, 2004

...the post-mod world of romance. and then some...

I don't play head games in romance. Or do I?

Greg has proclaimed himself, somehow, to be my romantic guru. Today he advised me to purchase "The Rules", a self-help relationship guide for women by two women whose greatest  credential seems to be that they are married.

So Greg says (because the book says) to play hard to get, bat eyelashes. I say it's mind games. He says not. He says it will be nothing more manipulative than applying lipstick to my lips. But that is not the way I do things. There is something inherently wrong (I think) with doing things with the express purpose of "catching a man".

I like my own way a lot better. Attract people by virtue of being impossibly cute and funny.

Comme aujourd'hui - when M said "I wish girls were in love with me on a regular basis". To that I sheepishly admitted that I had had a huge crush on him when I was 15.

"You made me blush - this made my day. So where did that crush go" he replied, laughing.

"Oh you know", I said, head bent, "Into the wind like all my other adolescent adorations.  Gimme a break, I was 15. These things came and went with more frequency than Beverley Hills reruns".

It was his turn to be sheepish, and coy: "Any chance I can get that crush back?"

Now I am the one blushing, and I didn't even have to bat my eyelashes.