Tuesday, February 06, 2007

...when he ran past you...

Some who know me well know that last year I made one brief attempt at entering the world of indoor plants. I started with a tree, a gorgeous little potted tree that I loved. I researched its care, named it, spoke to it. Two weeks later I found it was the cause of my centipede infestation, and promptly threw it out.

This year a friend gave me a young aloe vera plant, and looking up info on it I was ecstatic to see it was one of the easiest plants to care for. Doesn't need a lot of sunlight, or water and (so they say) thrives on neglect. So fine. I neglected it. I watered it the first day, placed it on the kitchen counter and a week later looked back at it to find the outer leaves are droopy and plump with liquid, a couple of the stems are brown and mushy, and even the biggest leaf usually so firm and strong is becoming visibly plumper with moisture at the tips.

Somebody help please. What must I do? I thought maybe I was giving it too much water, so I cut off the most damaged smaller leaves, and moved the pot to a window in more direct sunlight. Any other thoughts?