Tuesday, December 05, 2006

...reading old english...

Maybe the JCR isn't the most productive place to study for a three hour contract law exam, but I enjoy how relaxed it is. On the couch (I'm on a couch) beside me, a couple is taking a together-nap. The next one over is occupied by three Shakespeare students whisper-reading scenes from Twelth Night. At the tables across the way a gorgeous young guy sits with his laptop, in a suit, briefcase on the floor. Besides the fact that in the JCR everybody fits in, he doesn't really fit in. I find out later, in the coffee line, that he is a former student, used to work in Diabolos and is here for a conference. Slumming? Not really. More like coming home.

I'm tempted to deactivate my facebook and myspace accounts today. I made a list last night of my close friends, and even the not-too-close ones I nonetheless speak to and see often. It was a fraction of the (combined) 265 friends it says I have in my networks. Some of the people in my network I haven't seen in three years, or talked to, or thought about. A couple I've never even met, how's that? For a social gathering place, it just makes me feel isolated.