Wednesday, September 13, 2006

...maybe there was a shoe involved...

This is what I know about the school year so far: it isn't going to be easy, but it's going to be a lot of fun. I have three research heavy courses with profs I have had before and have adored. The term started off by throwing me some random encounters, including among others a reconnection with an old friend from middle school, of all places.

The great thing about these repeat profs I have this year is that both are the "do and let do" type - they'll let you have an idea and run with it, basically. I'm thinking of tackling the advertising world for my Linguistics/Power course; the Dove "Campaign for Real Beauty" and Reitman's "Designed for the Real World" campaigns have been weaving through my head for some time, and are shadowed with ambivalence from my part. Do I love them or hate them? Who doesn't want to be beautiful in their way, in their everyday tasks? But. Why is beauty still the defining aim? At the same time - they are beauty/fashion companies so it's beauty that is their stock in trade, not feminist identity issues. The thing that really interests me about these campaigns though is the target audience. For years, beauty campaigns have featured stick-thin models in high fashion looks, and urged us to aspire to that. These new campaigns are telling women, you don't need to do that. Be beautiful in who you are. And therefore making their products desirable for an entire new group of women - the sometimes awkward, bad-hair day having everylady (ie: me).

In its own way, there is an aspect of teen literature, especially in the series "The Clique" which plays with the same idea. The protagonist is a visitor from another state, living with the most popular girl in school. The book is filled with product placement and cultural references that Massie (the leader of the Clique) makes use of to keep her status; her visiting uncool friend's reaction is usually a mix of admiration and mockery, but also quite obviously envy. Even though she is generally comfortable with her identity, a part of her wants to be Massie, and the book is a subtle toolbox to show her how. No different from the Dove or Reitman's campaigns - be who you are, but aspire to be prettier. Use our products to accentuate (re: improve upon) what you already are.

----------------------



In a completely contrary situation, my Canadian Politics course is a dull little enterprise if I ever saw one. No original work, no creative ideas, no really contemporarily relevant assignments (and really, if now isn't an appropriate time to study the practical influence of politics on our lives, then I don't know when is). Skimming through the essay topic lists, I focused on the one (of around 50) that offered any scope for imagination and realised only with primary sources and individual research would it be any fun at all. Running it by the prof, he says we're not really expected to do any of our own research in this undergrad course. We want to teach you your proper "scholarly credentials" first. Which translates into "blah blah blitty blah do the busywork I give you and stop pestering me, I know more than you". Fun Fun. Oh University of T******, you contain multitudes...