Monday, February 28, 2005

...misperception taints my love...

This is why I hate the University of Toronto: After getting our bioethics exams back, we line up at our T.A.'s desk to argue various points. I had a legitimate problem with a simple calculation error, and a question about partial marks on a less simple answer. I did not want to wait 15 minutes behind the innane self-absorbed questions of the silly chit in front of me.

Her concern centred around a question she had answered incorrectly due to misreading the question. In my book, if you misread the question, tough shit. She lost 1.5 marks. Her mark was 46/50, an A+, a 4.0. Now whether she got that 1.5 marks or not, her mark was going to be an A+, a 4.0. So why in the world was she pushing this so hard?

I wouldn't have been as annoyed if she had a valid argument to make. She couldn't even manage that - "But ma'am, isn't it obvious from my other questions that I, like, know everything? I mean it just isn't fair, at all! I looked at this mark and it was, like, ouch, you know? I mean, I like, know *everything*".

Everything, that is, except reading the question properly. Move on. God these anal mark-hounding eager-beavers that make up the majority of this institution - should be shot, all of them, quickly.

Naturally, she was wearing Uggs and grey sweatpants. I don't know why that makes a difference. But it does.