Wednesday, November 17, 2004

...wouldn't you want to say it so (wouldn't you want to glow)?...

Aren't you children lucky? You get to be the test-subjects for my religion essay. The topic? Creationist theory vs. evolutionary theory. The essay will include the breakdowns of both, and evidence for validity of both (don't goff, creationists can make a solid case for themselves which does NOT have to be falsified by evolution, but can survive independently of it).

The part we will discuss here and now though is which should be taught in schools, should one be taught over the other, etc.

Personally, I think that both should be taught in school curriculums, both private and public. Now before you jump down my throat, hear me out. When I say that creation theory should be taught in all schools, I do not mean as a dogma. I'm not proposing that public school students be taught creation theory as irrefutable fact but as an alternate theory to evolution. I would throw in other creation theories for kicks. Naturally I would expect that evolution theory would likely be taught more extensively in the public school system, which likes to draw a tangible line between science and religion.

Similarly, I would expect that in a private Catholic school, creation theory will have more time and attention devoted to it. But even in a religious school, I don't believe creation should be taught as fact. It should be taught as a theory, with evolution as an alternate but not-competing theory (because the two can co-exist, according to some theologians who separate the obligations and fields of religion and science).

Though I do not put much credence in religious thought, there are far too many inconsistencies and coincidences and elements of design in nature to seriously lead me to doubt all of religious thought on the origins of life and man. Some of the new theological theories put forth by thinkers such as Allen Utke or Barbara E. Bowe are really interesting, and make you seriously think about a lot of thinks.

I'm not saying that it makes me believe in God, I still don't. But that doesn't mean I don't believe in some higher incomprehensible design. I think my "religious" (more spiritual) beliefs are in line more with Spinoza, who sees design and spirituality in nature enough to appreciate the higher element, but won't recognize it as "God" necessarily.