Tuesday, August 24, 2004

...run deep...

love won't accept being left behind
or being made as background, won't rescind
the hold it has on me

rhinestone shirt barely over my head
tea not finished, poured down the sink instead.
whirling, in haste to

leave the house by ten past eight
and get a haircut on the way
to work, and then to

have a cup of coffee on a sunlit patio
hoping that to do this will make me forget i know
the feel of your touch on my shoulder
as you walk past, turning once to look over
at me and smile

love won't settle with a low growl at my feet
won't let me be intrigued by others that i meet
jumps up around my ankles

as if to tell me not to turn my head
to more suitable companions instead.
you know i couldn't,

know that when mid-afternoon walking
shoulders, sides, calf muscles brushing
i stop leaving you behind
and accept that love will not rescind
the hold it has on me