Friday, February 15, 2008

...in spite of its magnificence, I wouldn't stop there...

This past weekend I discovered podcasting - for someone who claims fascination with new media culture, I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. So, I discovered podcasting, and then I discovered through the iTunes store the Great Speeches in History podcast, to which I promptly subscribed.

Then, Tuesday morning I found myself a corner in the back of the subway car, closed my eyes and began listening to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream". Though I have the written speech tacked up on the wall beside my desk, I hadn't ever heard the entire speech in one go, only excerpts and soundbites. By the time the last words were through, I was in tears and pulling into Rosedale station. That gave me scant minutes to recover before arriving at Bloor station on my way to work.

I thought about including some lines in this post, but without context and the passion of his voice, the words can lie flat alone. So instead, I recommend everyone take 15 minutes from their day to listen to it for themselves, courtesy of the American Rhetoric website.