Friday, February 01, 2008

...my eyes pass over...

At the bottom of this article on Robert Deluce's Porter Airlines, the last little bit about congestion caught my eye. Because I am flying to Boston soon, and I can imagine that is a popular flight destination; and in all my time of twice-, thrice-yearly flying I have never given a thought to the fact that the sky, and popular flight destinations, can have traffic congestion. And jams? Can the sky have traffic jams?

In the city you can be literally bumper to bumper, and not fear too much, even if you lightly tap the person in front of you. You can't have that in the air, because if you lightly tap into another plane up there, it basically means instant death. So what if one of the 15 some-odd flights daily from Toronto to Boston is coming in around the same time as one of the 20 some-odd flights from New York to Boston? Not to mention the flights that come in from Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando, San Francisco, and Tuscon? And the flights from all of the other COUNTRIES?! Why are there not more airplane accidents? Shouldn't we have a plan in place for this kind of situation?