Friday, March 23, 2007

...one moon in the sky...

They asked us this week whether there is room in the future for chivalry, or whether we have outgrown it, as a society. We the people responded (9:1) that of course, there is room for chivalry. I do believe that, honestly, who doesn't want that? But the examples they gave were more "considerations", so rare in the here and now that they have been elevated to the level of chivalry.

Chivalry is a dream, and of course we don't want to lose that in the future. But let's take considerations, not as chivalry, but as they are - thinking of somebody else, small actions to make a difference. I wish people in their day-to-day would give more thought to each other. When you are considerate of someone else, it does wonders for their self-esteem. It almost takes more effort to be considerate simply because it is so easily overlooked. So when people do show they are thinking of you, you feel so much better as a person.

Yesterday I was walking towards the subway carrying a large package. A man who wasn't even intending to go into the subway noticed I was heading there, and turned slightly out of his way to open the door for me because my hands were full! Can you even imagine that? In Toronto, after rush hour?

Then today (and it was a bad day today) I'm studying in the coffee shop before work. I'm sick and brainhurty, but enjoying a couple hours of sitting still without feeling topple-y. My boss comes in to say hi and see what I'm working on, then as he's leaving, without saying anything to me, calls to the ladies "Yo guys, give this one whatever she wants, take care of her". You can tell the ladies are floored, but I'm thrilled without being stunned surprised. He does the consideration thing well and often. I didn't actually get the coffee, as it happens. Today was not a day to be putting coffee in me (though I was sick enough after, anyway). But that isn't even the point, you know?

And then (because in threes is how we do things) my girlfriend stopped by with a care package of tea and trail mix, with the cashews taken out (hate them) and extra raisins! So in the end, I don't know. Maybe not so much a bad day after all.