Tuesday, March 28, 2006

...continually freshes your home...

I am aware that the following discussion will reveal my long-lasting never-fading love for General Hospital, but for the good of humanity I am making that sacrifice:

I am having a problem with Sonny and Emily. Huge. By which I mean, only sometimes because at times they really do click and I see something there, and am buoyed by the fact that young innocent Emily ended up with the older stronger man she adored for years. BUT. I don't like Natalia Livingston - I don't like her as Emily, she doesn't fit. Like all their scenes together, sometimes she does it right but most of the time they just do not have the same kind of chemistry that other GH power couples, like Sonny/Carly, Carly/Jason, Jax/Brenda, Sonny/Brenda have had. Maurice Benard looks awkward too - and goddamn it is frustrating how much she dotes on him. I can't see this relationship lasting, it is just too lacking in any tension, any interplay. It makes me crazy.

It is now two months that they have been together, and I am getting increasingly anxious. I am really bothered by this - not to mention the fact that the age difference is horrendous. We know that I am usually liberal about age, but really honestly now - when she was 16, Sonny was in his mid-30's. Now, he's pushing 40 and she's a medical student. I would also like to add that this scenario would not, COULD not have ever developed with Amber Tamblyn as Emily because she looked too young, and would always remind people of watching her grow up on the show, and the age difference between Sonny/Emily could never be put out of your mind. But Natalia Livingston has that older, sultrier soap opera look (which by the way, takes even more of her credibility as a medical school student away) and so when she is with Sonny sometimes you forget that she was the same girl who not too long ago was dating Juan. Incidentally, I only just remembered Juan right now as I was writing this, and that brings up a whole new pseudo-incentuous quality to this.

ABC, ABC please do something about this. I am emotionally fragile. My world is askew.

Incidentally, since I've already started this GH segment, I might as well go all out: The greatest power couple romantically on that show was Sonny/Brenda, followed by Jason/Robin, and Sonny/Carly. I would argue though that even better than that (in terms of acting, sexual tension, energy, and great great lines), the greatest power couple on that show ever was Jason/Carly, even though they never really culminated in that trueblue "relationship". I mean, after their friendship developed, it took them about three years to work up to that amazing Jason-initiated kiss after Jerry got arrested, and man. No one ever got tired of watching their sequence play out. The acting chemistry between Steve Burton and Sarah Brown was just... phenomenal. Although Sarah Brown was amazing with just about any character she interacted with. Bringing Tamara Braun in as the new Carly was not a good call, although I have high hopes for this new actress playing Carly right now, whoever she is. The new Carly/Jax thing is wonderful. Good call! Shows the writers can get things right sometimes.

But that Sonny/Emily thing... oh boy.