Wednesday, July 07, 2004

...learning by example...

Wednesday night, and the launch of the World Youth Centre, an initiative of Canada World Youth and WorldCouncil. Held at the Labatt Breweries John Labatt Hall at the Queen's Quay, it was a styling affair bursting to the seams with incredible people. Case in point: I had the privilege tonight of meeting Alexandre Trudeau, the youngest son of Pierre Trudeau, who, by virtue of my being a years-long student of Shulman, was a favorite among Canadian politicians for me. His son, then, naturally does not disappoint.

Not a natural or particuliarly phenomenal speaker, his reservation in public in no way diminishes his impact as a truly exceptional individual. His technique in journalism of "immersion" and his devotion to covering the "human" story of international events makes him one of a kind in the world of media. His support of learning and education, and life education, is inspiring. He spoke of learning from those around you, and not being fully dependent on books and institutions for your education. The best education you can get is from people, in your world, and by example.

The World Youth Centre is a new initiative that supports a number of students each year who are committed to social entrepreneurship in their endeavors. We met the 10 or so young people who are this years recipients of the awards this evening. Among them was a student from Iran, Amir, with whom I had a chance to converse. About what? What else - my intention to begin education projects and schools in the areas of Iran most lacking in it. We spoke for about half an hour, and I am dying to go to work tomorrow to speak to Lloyd, so I can continue being in contact with this individual.

That is the "profound" aspect of tonights events. Here is the "spazzy":

i)Sascha Trudeau is beautiful. And before he went up to speak, he was standing right in front of me. And I touched his sleeve. He is my new hero, and I love him. Case closed.
ii) I saw Clara, a girl I was in Quebec with a couple of years ago, here tonight. She is as annoyingly perfect and false now as she was then. Watching her spill beer on her self, while Trudeau and Nigel Miller were close by, was frankly just blissfully entertaining for me.