Wednesday, July 07, 2004

...moderated, non-anonymous...

Let it be known that I never smoked for effect.

That isn't to say my reasons were any better, but for the record, smoking was not about appearance for me, ever. Weight loss, stress, a strange attraction to the smell of cigarettes - those were my reasons (albeit none particularly great).

This morning, Faezeh invited me to join the community of Iranian Female Smokers, an Orkut community dedicated to - you guessed it - Iranian women who smoke.





This is the profile image to this community. Most of the individual members have a sexy silhoutted picture of themselves, cigarette in hand, exuding confidence and a willowy wisp of smoke. Reminiscent of old Hollywood, circa 1920's.

I find it sad that in this day and age, people still correlate smoking with sexiness and the appearance of cool. I won't regale you with medical evidence to dissuade any smokers out there: we all know it's wrong. Smoking is a personal choice however, and if it's the one you want to make, knowing all the reasons why you shouldn't, well who I am to stop you? Just a fellow smoker.

Actually I haven't smoked in over 2 months now, but I won't lie, I will probably take it up again when school starts. But I know all the reasons why I shouldn't, know that in this age it has actually become the anti-cool, and as such won't be bragging about it to anyone.

Or joining this community.

Invitation declined.