Saturday, May 24, 2008

...i also live in this landscape...

I want to get a tattoo but I don´t want to do it here - if I do, it will be just an example of "I went to Spain and got a drunken tattoo that one time". If (when) I get one, I want it to mean something, something that I love or believe, that I am going to wear for a lifetime.

I want to get "I also live in this landscape" down my back.

Spain is so much more a wonderful experience than I even thought it would be. I am doing everything I wouldn´t have done in Toronto, coming out of myself even as I am coming into my own. A city of strangers across the ocean, different language and different lifestyle. Means: even if they told me I was ridiculous, I couldn´t understand them.

So, a city of strangers in a different language. And yet, I still managed to meet the one fluent English-speaking Spaniard in this tourist-free port city. He grew up in Chicago so I suppose that almost makes him in American, but I think I can forgive that in the face of every other great thing.

Can I stay? Please, can I? I don´t want to go home tomorrow.