Wednesday, February 08, 2006

...cartoon wars...

Someone asked me last night what I think about the cartoon fiasco going on throughout the Muslim world. I told him that despite the repeated clinging to free speech as a defence, there are some things that, in evoking such a strong emotive connection to individuals, are distasteful to mock. Religion is one of those things. I'm not saying that they had no right to print it, but only that it was obviously going to cause a reaction, and considering that I see no literary merit in the cartoon except the desire to cause a response, I can only say that in some manner at least, they had it coming. The thing that troubles me is that the media establishments were aware of this reaction - it seems that after the first round was published, it was repeatedly reprinted in other news sources to provoke reaction. Clearly that provocation worked. I would hope that the originators of the cartoon will apologize for the reception of their cartoon. If they truly did not mean to offend, they should at least apologize for the offense that was taken.

I read this morning that Iran suggested holding a Holocaust cartoon competition. That really incited mixed feelings. It's the same kind of "devil's advocate" response that is my usual answer to things - if freedom of speech really is their defense, let's push that limit. However, I am also planning to teach elementary school and one of the most important lessons there is "two wrongs don't make a right". Also "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Especially considering the hot water Iran is already in, maybe a little temperence would be beneficial.