Thursday, February 02, 2006

...the whole world wants what we're on...

I'm not sleeping, nearly at all these days. Midnight will come around, then one, then two and I'm still not winding down. Around three I will make myself lie in bed, all lights off, in the hope that the lack of stimulation might make something happen. I suppose at some point that must work because I will wake up in the morning at around 6. The first couple of days in this cycle pass uneventfully but on the third, inevitably, I crash. Like today when at around 3 in the afternoon, in the middle of a conversation with Javod, I knew I was about to fall asleep and quickly moved downstairs to the more comfortable section of Pratt Library, downstairs where the couches are. Claiming one to myself, I passed out. An hour and 45 minutes later I woke up with sleeplines from my scarf embedded in my face announcing my condition to all the world. Thankfully this only meant 3 people as the wireless networks in the library had gone down and everyone nearly had left.

The point is I'm not sleeping.

I am in a strange state of having too many things, none of them easy, on my mind. I don't know what to write for The Star. Actually that isn't entirely true. I don't know what I can write that is unique for The Star. The first topic was 'health benefits of volunteering' and it's left me in a brain freeze. I don't know what I can do with it that will be interesting or different. How many different ways can you say "volunteering is good for you", and why do you need half a dozen people to say it? If anyone has a neat angle I can take, let me know.

I'm on the point of maybe seeing someone; in the sense that I like him, and he held my hand, and asked what I'm doing Sunday night. Wondering if it's too soon. I mean, it isn't soon for me in the sense that I am more than ready to do this. I'm wondering if it's allowed, morally legitimate? Technically, Jody and I have been broken up a little over two weeks. I should be more sad, and I should be more hesitant in moving on. But it already feels like a lifetime! And we're still talking, friendly like - should I tell him I'm considering going out with someone? Tell me what to do!

The only thing I sort of have my head around is the research project for my feminist linguistics class, which is quickly becoming the favorite class I've had in university. I'm going to be comparing bathroom graffitti to see if I can find some neat language patterns between men and women. Hurray! I have my boy Cody scouting out boys bathroom stalls and transcribing those for me.