Thursday, June 05, 2008

...everything leads to here...

I just made a devastating combination - nostalgia and my Visa card. I've spent years casually browsing used bookstores for Elizabeth Bernard's "Satin Slippers" series. It's a series of 12 books I read and adored in middle school and I harbour dreams of one day giving them to my budding ballerina daughter. This week I spent some time on abebooks and found them there, all 11 copies I needed (I found the first volume in a Toronto store not too long ago), whipped out my Visa and bought them then and there. abebooks is wonderful, it finds you all the books you need at whichever store has them, lets you order them from the site and behind the scenes arranges the orders with all of the independent booksellers involved. The first book arrived today and I read it in a thrilling hour over lunch in my kitchen. I can't wait for the rest of them.